Stone Outbuildings in Association with original Squatter’s Home Inn (1855) Dutton Street, Yass, NSW.
Interim Report on Preliminary Building Conservation Removal of Vegetation, Prepared by Heritage Archaeology, Archaeological & Heritage Assessment Consultants, Canberra, ACT., For Yass Shire Council, Yass, NSW.
The remains of two pitched stone and brick outbuildings in close association to the location of the original Squatters Home inn c.1855 are extant within the Yass Gasworks precinct. The structures, inspected during an initial archaeological site assessment of the Yass Gasworks undertaken by Heritage Archaeology during 2000, were found to be covered with vigorous growing English broad-leaf ivy. The buildings are defined on Preliminary Plan of Archaeological Sites - Appendix 1. Vol. 2. Initial Archaeological Site Assessment, Yass Gasworks Conservation Management Plan, January 2001.
The Squatters Home Inn, Yass, NSW c.1855
In accordance with recommendations made in that report, Yass Shire Council agreed to arrange for removal of the ivy to prevent further destruction to the buildings, Heritage Archaeology was engaged by Yass Shire Council to ensure preservation of the buildings' archaeological integrity during the works project.
The Squatters Home was erected c.1855. Owen Hilly was granted a publican's licence for the inn in 1855 and is known to have held this licence until 1860. This establishment comprised a large single storey rectangular building of Georgian design that fronted immediately onto Dutton Street. The inn's early association with the development of the Yass township, its subsequent uses and the potential of those remaining buildings to reveal information about the development of building methods in the district would be valued archaeological information. Historical photographs show several small outbuildings of stone and brick at the rear and to the left of the premises.
Work was commenced on the vegetation removal project by Yass Shire Council staff on 15th-16th February 2001 under the supervision of two archaeologists. Removal of surface vegetation from both buildings and some removal of rubbish and stored materials provided increased visibility of the structures and assisted closer inspection of the stability of the structures and the materials used in their construction.
A stone building associated with the Squatters Home Inn covered with 30 years growth of common garden ivy.
Council employees clearing the ivy under the supervision of the archaeologist.
Clearing, cleaning and trimming work continues and features of the building are now revealed.
Most of the ivy growth is now removed and archaeological assessment continues.